Soundings is the sister company to Fluid Design Ltd. Soundings is a thriving and growing Shoreditch based consultancy with over 15 years’ experience focusing on community and stakeholder engagement, consultation and co-design and cutting edge, high profile urban projects. We are looking for a massively enthusiastic and talented Digital designer/Front-End Developer to join our team, based in central London. Someone with min 3 years experience who also has an eye for design and is at ease working alongside graphic designers and in bringing to life complex online layouts.
You will be joining a design team and work directly with the creative director to help deliver high-quality responsive websites. The role will cover a range of channels including: Newsletter design. WordPress based websites, HTML development for Display Banners (Media), Feedback forms and etc.
– At least 3 years digital design experience
– BA(Hons) in Digital Design, Graphic Design, Graphic Communications or related field.
– Ability to develop and execute outstanding interactive design concepts
– A solid knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress and Front-End Tools ( incorporating video, sound and interactive elements. )
– Experience using PHP (mainly Front End) & PHP Framework
– Email/newsletter/online feedback form construction
– Experience of mobile design and device optimisation – Ensuring that user journeys across mobile and desktop products are responsive and adaptive and meet the needs of the business
– Experience with popular CMS engines like WordPress
Key Qualities & Skills:
– High attention to details, with a strong visual aesthetic
– Potential experience for creating animations
– Ability to work under pressure
– Ability to work across multiple projects
– Strong digital UX/UI Design
– Excellent appreciation of Typography, Colour and Layout
– A solid understanding of Adobe softwares (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
– Strong communication skills
– Pro-active and motivated
– Team player
Some examples of our work:
£30,000 – £40,000 per annum | Depending on experience
Six months probation, permanent post on offer on satisfactory completion
25 days annual holiday (and public holidays)
Graphic Designer & Public Engagement Consultant (full time) at Soundings
Main purpose of job
Responsible for design and production of all communication material related to consultation projects, working as part of the Soundings team as an outreach and consultation assistant on projects in the built environment.
The job can be broken down into 2 main areas:
- Graphic Design
- Public Engagement & Consultation
Keywords describing the role: Innovator, Researcher, Analyst, Visualiser
Graphic Design Key Tasks:
- Identity / look and feel design for consultation projects (includes logo design, design of all communication material)
- Design of communication material (this includes designing consultation tools, research reports, newsletters, posters, leaflets and exhibition boards)
- Information visualisation – analysing and visualising comments and research material collected during consultation process
- Website design – layout design for basic websites related to consultation projects
- Have experience in graphic design and visual communication
- Excellent working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in print production
- Understanding of web technologies
Public Engagement & Consultation Key Tasks:
- Conduct project research (includes conducting desk-based research and action-based research through site visits and interviews)
- Facilitate / host consultation events – work as part of the Soundings team on various consultation events related to projects (tasks include ad-hoc street interviews, conducting more focused group / one-to-one interviews and facilitating group discussions at large-scale public events).
- Database findings and analyse information – log research insights and work with the project team to interpret the data gathered and draw out relevant insights to inform the consultation process.
- Write project reports – be able to articulate research findings in a clear and concise way and write summary reports of the process.
- Idea generation – work with the Soundings team to come up with creative ways to engage the general public on projects, collect and display information and draw out stories / information from people.
- Be passionate about public engagement & consultation
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Proficient use of English language
- Enjoy working with people and being out of the office
- Have an interest in place making and architecture
- Experience in workshop facilitation and outreach work
- Knowledge / experience of the planning process / urban design / masterplanning / architecture
- Website development and construction technical skills
- Graphic design professional experience over 3 years
- Be Proactive – take initiative to add creativity to consultation projects / events.
- Be energetic and friendly – willing to engage with people
- Deliver projects on time – be able to complete tasks on time and able to react positively to last minute changes.
- Collaborate with others – projects often involve working as part of a larger team that consist of architects, the council/developer and various other practitioners related to a development / regeneration project.
- Be flexible with time – on select occasions be willing to work at consultation events scheduled over weekends or after hours.
Three months probation, permanent
20 days annual holiday (and public holidays)
Application process: CV to Shanel Spence: email@example.com
Shortlisted applicants: interview with directors
Starting date: as soon as possible